Friday, April 22, 2011

Letting Go

If we must part forever,
Give me but one kind word to think upon,
And please myself with, while my heart's breaking.
~Thomas Otway

How do you let go of someone you love? I feel love. I feel sadness. I feel anger. But most of all, just heartache. We are supposed to be impervious to these realities. We are supposed to stay 13 and best friends, in our minds, forever. 

We were once innocent, far from being so lost. Far from becoming so hurt. We talked about the future, like it was a bright light. We yearned for it, because we knew it held happiness. We hoped...that it held happiness. We dreamed of all that it could be. Falling once, and scraping our knee. Falling twice, three, four, five times. We picked ourselves up and kept walking. 

We knew pain, but not like this. This was not the future we had planned on. 

This is not the future I hoped for her. 

We dreamed of 2 men. We dreamed of 2 lives. We got those lives...

But she is walking away. She is letting go of all that we dreamed for ourselves, as 13 year old girls who never knew of this heartache. Who never could have imagined these stinging tears. 

She is walking away, without leaving me a kind word to think upon while my heart is breaking. 

How do you let go of someone you love, who doesn't love you back...

1 comment:

  1. =[ After my conversation that I had with Jake this morning, I'm there with you and Meli...I don't feel like she cares about me at all either, even though all I've ever done was love her and be an awesome friend for her. I guess I'm just done.

    And I guess I'm sorry, too. Not only for Daniel, and even Hannah, but also for you (and Jake, too). It makes me mad to see you in pain, too...cause I care about you. The difference is I KNOW without a doubt in my mind that you care about me back. I am very protective of Jake, and I'm starting to feel that way about you right now.

    YOU are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete